Position Title: Assistant Director, Financial Aid (Law)
Classification Title: FT Administrator
City/Campus: Detroit - Riverfront
Department: Law Admissions
Position Status: Full Time
Position Summary: Provide excellent student-centered financial aid services to best position the law school for success in enrolling classes and retaining students and complying with regulations.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
(1) Financial Aid Advising & Awarding
• Advise prospective, admitted, and current students and their families on financial aid matters, including international students • Award and adjust student financial aid packages, including loans and scholarships • Create student budgets • Serve as the lead for financial aid related communications, including print and website • Leverage technology to increase efficiency and improve student services
(2) Research and Compliance –
• Ensure compliance with financial aid related laws and regulations • Ensure compliance with University policies and procedures
(3) Operations and Reporting –
• Maintain expertise in financial aid and admissions systems, including Banner and ACES2 • Maintain data and create reports for internal and external reporting • Track receipt of FAFSA applications and financial aid awards • Post scholarship awarding and renewal criteria in Banner and keep lists of these for future years’ use • Improve processes, including those for serving students, maintaining data, and reporting
(4) Collaboration and Professional Development – • Collaborate with main campus financial aid team • Join professional financial aid organizations • Attend national and regional financial aid and admissions training and conferences • Assist with admissions events as needed • Other duties as assigned by supervisor
A college degree required.
A doctorate degree (JD preferred)
Six months to two years (in higher education or financial aid preferred; required if no JD)
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• High level of professionalism • High attention to detail • Strong customer service skills • Ability to maintain confidential information • Strong communication skills • Strong technology skills, including Microsoft Office, web design, and social media • Ability to research and understand regulatory and compliance matters
Job may require lifting light weight objects (1 to 10 pounds) with no repetitive bending or stooping. Occasionally lift average weight objects (1 to 10 pounds).
Regular exposure to favorable conditions such as those found in a normal office.
Cannot be in Default on Repayment of Federal Educational Funds in order to obtain access to information in Federal Data Systems.
Open Date: 02/01/2019
Salary/Pay Information: Commensurate with experience
Michigan’s largest, most comprehensive private university, the University of Detroit Mercy is an independent Catholic institution of higher education sponsored by the Religious Sisters of Mercy and Society of Jesus. The university seeks qualified candidates who will contribute to the University's urban mission, commitment to diversity, and tradition of scholarly excellence. The University of Detroit Mercy is an Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action Employer with a diverse faculty and student body and welcomes persons of all backgrounds.
Internal Number: AF9964-PC001-0509-1084
About University of Detroit Mercy
The University of Detroit Mercy has one goal - to help our students realize their dreams and ambitions. We fulfill that goal by offering challenging academic programs taught by talented, committed professors and supplemented by hands-on research, co-op, and internship opportunities.