This position is a very competitive path to employment in the Writing Center as a writing consultant and therefore is an alternative to the semester long course (EN 410: Writing Consultancy). Students who cannot take the official course (mainly due to scheduling conflicts) should consider this on the job training opportunity as a means of building knowledge and professional skills around writing.
Responsibilities Once employed, WC Consultants should expect to
3 Primary Responsibilities
1. Scheduling This responsibility entails sitting at the reception desk to welcome and help visitors/clients with their scheduling needs. Then, any and all work completed during work hours should be Writing Center related.
2. Observing This responsibility has two parts:
- Officially observe two working writing consultants using the approved template. Then, discuss what was observed (with the consultant observed) with the goal of building on the assigned readings explicitly.
- Be observed by two working consultants using the approved template. Then, discuss with them what they observed with the goal of building on the assigned readings explicitly.
3. Studying This responsibility has four parts:
- Make an appointment to be tutored. Take a turn in the student's chair to contextualize the readings and better understand how consultants help clients improve their writing.
- Read 12 essential articles . These are assigned to students enrolled in EN 410: Writing Consultancy. Write about each of them in your blog.
- Write two assignments. These are assigned to students enrolled in EN 410: Writing Consultancy and include "Weekly Blog Entries" and an "Observation Report".
- Discuss one assigned reading with an outsider . Share what you're reading, thinking and writing about with someone unfamiliar with Writing Centers, and write about it in one of your blogs.
Qualifications To be considered for employment as a WCIT, a student must
Worcester State University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer which seeks to reflect the diversity of its community.
Proposed Pay Range: $11.00 - 12.00 / hour
Scheduled Hours: 6 hrs / week
Students must apply online.
*This position is for WSU students only.
Internal Number: 102312
About Worcester State University
WORCESTER STATE UNIVERSITY is a vibrant public university located in the residential west side of Worcester, Massachusetts, the second largest city in New England and home to 38,000 college students at more than a dozen colleges and universities. Situated on a compact 58-acre campus, the University offers 50 undergraduate and graduate academic programs to more than 6,400 students annually. The Princeton Review ranks us as one of the 75 "Best Value" public colleges in the country, as well as a "Best in the Northeast" college.